Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of our most commonly asked questions about Occupational Therapy and KidSensations
I think my child could benefit from occupational therapy. How do I get started?
Following the evaluation conference, if treatment is indicated, a regularly-scheduled appointment time will be established for your child. The occupational therapist will provide your child’s pediatrician or specialist with a copy of the report and a prescription for therapy will be obtained.
What Insurance networks are you a part of or accept?
KidSensations is an In-Network provider for the insurance companies Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, Humana, MediCaid, and Superior. We will file as an out-of-network provider for most insurance.
For families without insurance coverage, a discounted rate is offered if the cost is out of pocket for the family.
What kinds of things are children doing during a typical therapy session?
- Fun, internally motivated movement activities
- Carefully chosen and modified activities designed to challenge each child while remaining fun and enhancing a sense of accomplishment and self-esteem
- Play on moving equipment to address skills such as balance, core body strength, and whole body coordination
- Games and activities to promote strengthening of trunk, large muscle groups, and often hands and fingers as well
- Crafts and projects to promote fine motor skills and task organization
- Games, puzzles, and activities to address and improve visual perceptual, visual motor and ocular motor skills
- Activities involving multi-step movement tasks to improve sequencing and memory, as well as motor skills and upper extremity coordination.
- If applicable, practice with self-care &/or self-feeding skills, incorporated naturally into sessions